TIPS for ANGLERS:
- Remove or crush barbs from hooks.
- Use Circle hooks: they wont get stuck in birds' stomachs
- Always stay with your lines (unattended lines are unlawful).
- Take all your gear and rubbish home.
- Do a quick foreshore cleanup and take away any rubbish others have left when you are leaving.
OH NO! I'VE HOOKED A BIRD!
- Stay calm and don't cut the line (or else it may be doomed to a slow death).
- Try to lure the bird towards you with fish or gently reel it in.
- Use an old towel or jumper to throw over it and gently restrain its head and then the wings.
- See if you can remove the hook without doing too much damage.
- If you can't then take it to your nearest veterinarian or phone for advice: Wildlcare Helpline 9474 9055 or WASR Emergency 0418952683.
- WASR regularly holds seabird rescue workshops: contact us for further information.